Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Stuffed Pork Loin

(Boneless Pork Loin stuffed w/ Bacon, Swiss cheese, Bell pepper, onion and mushrooms)

This is the type of dish that Carnivorous Intent is all about! A delicious mix of flavors layered from top to bottom, wrapped with a tender boneless pork loin and covered in teriyaki sauce. 
You may be wondering what qualifies for a Carnivorous Intent dish. Well, let me share how to gain the C.I. stamp of approval. First, the main ingredient is protein. Beef, Pork, Chicken, Turkey, etc. Second, the dish must be family approved. The way I look at it is, if the whole family clears their plate willingly, you've got a winner. I don't know about you, but I always want to know how everyone enjoyed it. Typical responses may include a thumbs up or "...here, do you want this?" 
Using this technique offers a multitude of possibilities for literally any taste. Apple wood smoked bacon is a favorite of mine. Any type of cheese, including cream cheese, is a tasty addition along with any of your favorite vegetable. Let me share my latest creation.

Ingredients

Fresh ingredients can make all the difference. 

Boneless Pork Loin (Butterflied) 
Applewood Smoked Bacon 
Bell Pepper
 Mushrooms 
Onion 
Swiss Cheese
 Olive Oil 
Butcher's Twine


Preparation

=Sautee Veggies w/ Olive Oil
Precook Bacon
Prep time: 10-15 mins 
First, cut all your vegetables . As you can see here, I used 1 yellow onion cut into thin, half strips, 1 package of fresh mushrooms thinly sliced and 2 bell peppers cut into strips. They were then sauteed in extra virgin olive oil on a high heat until tender.
While your vegetables are sauteing, precook the bacon to your liking. I prefer to use a thick sliced applewood smoked bacon that my local grocery store carries in its Meat department's service case. Ask your Meat Cutter what bacon he would recommend. I prefer to have mine a little under done rather than crispy. Bacon must be cooked because it will not cook fully when stuffed. Also, to cook away the excess fat, because if not, the bacon fat accumulates inside the loin, unable to run off and becomes a fatty, gritty mess. Trust me. That is an unpleasant lesson to learn, especially sitting at the dinner table. I usually enlist the help of one of my sons to assist with some of the cooking. It is amazing how willing to help kids may be for a piece of bacon!  Think of it as a training tool. Lol! 



Trimmed Boneless Pork Loin 
Butterfly Cut  Boneless Pork Loin Roast
Prep time: 5 mins 
Trimmed and butterfly cut Boneless Pork Loin Roast. You may find it beneficial, as I do, to purchase a whole boneless pork loin rather than just a roast. Typically priced well and yielding several meals worth of meat, your Meat Cutter should be more than happy to process it for you. Roasts, Chops cut to your preference, even butterflied as we have here. The benefit to doing so is not only having it process to your liking, but having it wrapped in butcher paper and ready to go directly in to the freezer. This is a great way to stretch your dollar, prepare for meals in advance, get exactly the cuts you desire, and of course stock the freezer. 
Now, in case your unsure of what a butterfly cut is, it's a cut that allows for the piece to evenly lay open without splitting it into two pieces. As pictured here, you can see that I cut horizontally along one side, the length of the roast, not all the way through, but nearly. Honestly it's not difficult, but if your hesitant, utilize the skills of your Meat Cutter and don't forget to ask for some twine.

Construction

Begin building your layers. As shown, I start with a layer of Swiss cheese and continue to build however you like. 

First layer of Swiss Cheese

Layer of Precooked Applewood Smoked Bacon


Topped w/ Sauteed Veggies


Paleo Cookbooks - Recipes for the Paleo Diet


Bacon, Swiss, Mushroom, Onion, Bell Pepper Stuffed Boneless Pork Loin


Tie with butcher twine several times. Drizzle with Teriyaki sauce and Bake in a shallow dish at 350 degrees for 25 mins. per pound.


Viola! Dinner is served. The nice thing about a dish like this is the  option to use any ingredients you want. Incorporate jalapenos or peppers for a spicy kick or some asparagus and cheddar. The only option I would not recommend is not trying at all. Give it a try and let me know how it turned out.






Click to discover all of ~ My Alternate Personalities ~ Thank you for stopping by and don't be shy to leave a comment , some feedback, experiences, or just a hello. About me... I am a single father of two amazing teenage boys and on schedule to be married to my love Donna after a short 5 years together. I love my trade as a Meat Cutter but realize it won't last forever. So I have ventured into affiliate marketing and my blog. Check back in a few months and lord willing we'll still be here doing great. Until next time. Grill On!                                                                                                                     ~FABIAN                            

No comments:

Post a Comment